The Dominus Flevit is a Roman Catholic church which stands on the Mount of Olives, overlooking Jerusalem. Dominus Flevit is Latin for “The LORD wept,” and it commemorates the events in Luke 19:37-44 when Jesus wept concerning Jerusalem. Because of this the Chapel is shaped like a tear. Originally Christians started pointing to this location as the point where this event occurred during the Crusades, but throughout the years they have been unable to build anything there because of a Muslim mosque nearby. In the 1800’s the Franciscans bought a plot of land nearby and built a chapel there. During the 1900’s the Benedictine sisters, who owned land nearby, sold parts of it to raise finances. The Franciscans built a new wall, but during the excavation of the foundation they uncovered tombs, which lead to a mass excavation. They found a complex of tombs and a Byzantine chapel from the 5th century. The current church is built on the remains of this chapel.